Wednesday, November 12, 2008

water shutoff - feild trip

Last Friday my class experienced a water shortage at my school. Our core teachers and Dean announced that the budget cuts at our school were so dire that it was necessary to cut off water for hours at a time. They added after this announcement that the school would be receiving portable lavitories by the next week. Now, my class acted as expected and became somewhat concerned immediately. I turned to one of my friends and asked them how it all came to this scenario. To our comfort, we were informed it was just a demonstration of how some schools in other countries have to deal with water shortages on a weekly bases.

My reactions weren't created by my sudden reaction. I have been watching the looming drought over San Diego county for a very long time and have heard rumors about an inevitable war for purified water. I was not surprised by this pretend scenario, but this isn't saying I wasn't frustrated by it.

After this introduction to the looming water crisis, we participated in a feild trip that toured an example mini-refuguee camp created by the organization Doctors Without Borders. Everything was cliche, however I was concerned with the safety of the volunteers who are placed inside these dangerous countrys. I had discussed a privatised security force with a peer of mine, but the discussion lead to the thought of ultimately purging and industrializing Africa.

No comments: